Yesterday we had the Art Dropoff Party for the Art on Science: 26 Études project with the Boston-Strasbourg Sister City organization. Here’s a pic of the show-and-tell session: Here are some pics of the printing plates and the finished prints.
The print of a phosphorescent eukaryotic cell in four colors is starting to come together. Here are some pics of the plates I’m using and some of the tools.
Transparent white printing ink wasn’t working so well, so I tried #3 burnt plate oil as a carrier for the phosphorescent powder. This time, the more liquid nature of the oil accepted more pigment, and I was able to get 60% by weight without affecting the usability. I dare say I could get to 70-80%
The project for 26 Études is slowly coming together, I’m starting the experimentation process for printing with phosphorescent (or glow-in-the-dark) pigments. The latex-based letterpress ink I used in this image was somewhat mediocre when applied to paper, so I’ll be trying No 3 plate oil next. The different concentrations — 5%, 10% and 20% by