The end of another semester, one started out with a rash of missed classes because of crazy winter weather, but slowly managed to unfold into a pretty successful time, if stressful. So to celebrate the end, and to enjoy a nice clean press room thanks to my Extension School students, I ran a couple of
Here’s a quick cellphone shot of my new letterpress piece, “The Sounds of English”: The gray line in the middle represents all of the sounds used in the English language as coded through the International Phonetic Alphabet. The top and bottom lines, the title of the piece in the IPA and in English orthography, are
Another fun thing that happened in January, we had a Friday seminar at the Bow & Arrow Press for Open Letters, a publication of the Graduate School of Design at Harvard. Ten students and the instructors came out and we put together some lovely prints using lead, linoleum and photopolymer.
Snapshot of the broadside I ran for the founding of the Seamus Heaney suite at the Adams House residence hall at Harvard. Heaney, an Irish poet, was a well-known guest at the House during the 80s and 90s, and his favorite suite is being outfitted in memory of his visits.
While I was working on “Nominal Chinati” I whipped out some quick runs on the letterpress at the Bow & Arrow just for funsies. These will be posted on my Etsy site as soon as I get good images. One of my favorite wordsmiths, even though he “only” wrote noir mysteries. 8″x 10″, printed in
Finally had the time to go sign and number the small shipping container prints. This series is all 13″ x 6.25″, printed in black on Lettra 220# fluorescent white paper. There are 40 members in the edition, and I’m reserving numbers 1-13 as complete sets. Click to embiggen on any one of these:
Today was a busy time at the Bow & Arrow Press, where I was not only running a four-color broadside for a poetry reading at Emory University, but also running editions of my long-waiting shipping container project. I pulled three sets of prints for the series, and each will be signed in an edition of
I posted about the first one back in the spring, and over the summer we did another one, and we have a third in the works. Here are some nice pictures of the first two, since I was taking shots of work at the Press this weekend.
Before and after class at the Bow & Arrow on Saturday I started messing around with my cubes of wood again. This time I started playing with four groups of four blocks, set roughly in lines, and used some graphite ink I’d mixed earlier in the month. I’m really pleased with the silvery color of
I wrote about my Standard Deviations project a while back, and finally photographed them nicely so I could present them as a series. I’ll be editioning each one individually, and also in 13 sets of 5. Here they are in order: