Mindhue Studio

Printmaking, conceptual and installation art

Got a Good Phosphorescent Medium

Transparent white printing ink wasn’t working so well, so I tried #3 burnt plate oil as a carrier for the phosphorescent powder. This time, the more liquid nature of the oil accepted more pigment, and I was able to get 60% by weight without affecting the usability. I dare say I could get to 70-80% without too much problem.

So I ordered more of the blue, green and aqua (cyan) pigments, as they are the brightest and most effective, and added some orange as well, although the lower frequency colors are nowhere near as bright. I suppose it has to do with the electron bandgaps available in the phosphorescent process — which is a very interesting little bit of quantum mechanics, as a matter of fact.

Pics:

60% pigment by weight on the palette, fountain, brayer and paper.
Same set in the dark!