With Labor Day and various other stuff happening, I haven’t been able to get over to the Nave until late this afternoon. Alas, I was only there for a couple hours, mostly to make more repairs to the Mississippi and to lay the other two out on a different support system. The plinth wasn’t quite the right height, and both the Nile and Yangtze started sagging in weird ways. Evidently wooden cubes and wood glue are more pliable than originally expected. Here are the rivers in their new layouts, with clamps visible on the Mississippi:
I also took the opportunity to hang up the latest Flow Pattern drawings, made by dripping ink over wet paper that had been set over newsprint to make interesting topographies:
The black Flow Pattern drawings are made with reclaimed inkjet ink, which contains a certain amount of every ink used in professional-grade inkjets. So I was hoping that some kind of separation would happen as the ink dried, and different colors would become visible against the composite black shade. And, indeed, there are areas of cyan and magenta bleeding through the basic black in certain areas of these drawings:
Finally, I pieced together another Tetra Experiments piece, this time following a pattern: I started with a basic zigzag line, then added an extension with three empty sleeves to every third segment. I then attached it to an earlier piece, the one curled around the pole with a cube held in a little cage.
Today started off, oddly enough, as something of a clean-up day. I moved the trash bags I’m using as floor protectors for the wet projects, I shifted a bunch of the loose cubes over to where the river production area was, I cleaned up the pixel dice construction site, and collected boxes in one area and trash in another. I have some of the flow-pattern ink drawings in process, but I didn’t get around to photographing them. Next time!
For a consolation prize, here are the rivers, mostly complete. The clamp on the Mississippi is joining the Ohio/Upper Mississippi/Missouri complex to the Lower Mississippi/Red/Canadian/Arkansas complex. The clamp on the Yangtze is to hold together a faulty glue joint, which broke at around the Wuhan area.
I also put the Random Pixel Objects on display on a plinth, just to get them out of the way:
I spent most of the day fixing up the 3D pixel Nile, 3D pixel Yangtze, and piecing together the last bits of the 3D pixel Mississippi. Here’s a quick shot of the Nile, resting on a table:
I also constructed five ephemeral Random Pixel Objects and three physical Random Pixel Objects. I forgot to snap a photo of the physical ones, but I shot video of the making of the five ephemeral ones. Here are the five Objects:
And here’s the video showing exactly how I’m making them:
I also started a very silly project, making river patterns out of nylon rope. I shot various frames of the running length, and I tried to use an automated stitcher to fit them all together, but it looks like I’ll need to do that manually. Tomorrow!
There were some technical snafus, like the batteries for the camera I use for the random pixel grids conking out, so today I don’t have many images. However, I did finish painting the new sets of pixel dice, and sanded the edges of one set of 12:
More fun at the Nave today. I used the heavy rain to soak some paper and play with ink patterns:
I did more random pixel grids with the six-level grayscale dice. Here’s a sampling of three of them:
I’ll be in a show at Bromfield Gallery next month called Black and White, and have been preparing a large series of work for the occasion. Today I framed everything, so everything’s ready to go. Here’s another quick shot of what’s coming:
It’s been a while, partially because I’ve been busy, but also because the video glitches from earlier have pretty much overwhelmed my poor computer and it tends to crash every fifteen minutes. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new iMac yesterday.
One of the things I’ve been busy with is a project specifically created for the Black | White show that will be going up in July at the Bromfield Gallery. I don’t want to spoil the entire thing, but here’s a glimpse at what I’ve been working on:
I’d been working on them piecemeal for a while, but I had the chance to really sit down and work on some needlepoint pieces while I was at Somerville Open Studios on May 3rd and 4th. Here’s a gallery of what I’ve been working on.
This is the analemma, the shape that the sun traces out during the course of the year. I have marked the dates of the solstices at the minimum and maximum points.
So, I’m still working through the kinks of another concept based on my pixel rivers idea of a couple months back, but I started playing around with rendering them in another pixel-based medium, cross-stitch needlepoint. So far, I have about an eighth of the Mississippi done:
I’m abstracting the shape of the river into a branching network, and filling in the area around it with grey thread. I may fill the river in with white, or with a color, or I may leave it as bare aida cloth. I haven’t quite decided yet, but I have plenty of time to figure that out. Of course, as I get into the more complex portion of the river basin, things will go a lot faster, since I won’t have to fill in as much grey.