Nave Residency, Day 9

Drawing, Graphic Geography, Residency, Scientific Exploration

With Labor Day and various other stuff happening, I haven’t been able to get over to the Nave until late this afternoon. Alas, I was only there for a couple hours, mostly to make more repairs to the Mississippi and to lay the other two out on a different support system. The plinth wasn’t quite the right height, and both the Nile and Yangtze started sagging in weird ways. Evidently wooden cubes and wood glue are more pliable than originally expected. Here are the rivers in their new layouts, with clamps visible on the Mississippi:

Nile-Supports Mississippi-Repair Yangtze-Supports

I also took the opportunity to hang up the latest Flow Pattern drawings, made by dripping ink over wet paper that had been set over newsprint to make interesting topographies:

Flow-Patterns-07 Flow-Patterns-06 Flow-Patterns-05 Flow-Patterns-08

The black Flow Pattern drawings are made with reclaimed inkjet ink, which contains a certain amount of every ink used in professional-grade inkjets. So I was hoping that some kind of separation would happen as the ink dried, and different colors would become visible against the composite black shade. And, indeed, there are areas of cyan and magenta bleeding through the basic black in certain areas of these drawings:

Flow-Pattern-Inkjet-Detail-02 Flow-Pattern-Inkjet-Detail-01

Finally, I pieced together another Tetra Experiments piece, this time following a pattern: I started with a basic zigzag line, then added an extension with three empty sleeves to every third segment. I then attached it to an earlier piece, the one curled around the pole with a cube held in a little cage.

Tetra-Experiments-08

Nave Residency, Day 4

Graphic Geography, Random Processes, Residency

There were some technical snafus, like the batteries for the camera I use for the random pixel grids conking out, so today I don’t have many images. However, I did finish painting the new sets of pixel dice, and sanded the edges of one set of 12:
Bunches-Of-Dice
Dozen-New-Dice

First Actual Day at the Nave

Drawing, Random Processes, Residency

At long last, I got over to the Nave on Powderhouse Blvd for some art time. Everything’s preliminary, everything’s laying groundwork, and everything’s feeling out directions. One of the things that happened was process-oriented data collection.

I created random 6×6 grids with six-level grayscale dice:

PixelDiceShot

SIXTY Done: The Sketchbook Completed

Drawing

I finally finished up the SIXTY sketchbook I posted about earlier. To recap: each of the pages in this notebook contains a drawing that consists of sixty strokes, in various colors and media. Things were wildly gyrating earlier in the year, but I settled down on Prismacolor markers in various hues, a set of graphite pencils, and a Rotring Artpen I’ve had since I was about twenty.

The full sketchbook PDF is available here,  but I’ll post some favorites below. In the PDF and in these images, the newer drawings are on the right-hand side of the page, with the earlier drawings their companions on the left-hand side. Here are five of my favorite spreads, in which I think both drawings have a nice interaction:

_MG_8309