I liked the original three shipping container prints so much I had to do four more. There was a brief delay when I accidentally ordered plates from Boxcar at half the size of the original three, but that was quickly corrected and I got the proper size plates soon enough. The delay was fortuitous, because that allowed the PANTONE mixing guide I had ordered for the Bow & Arrow Press to arrive, and I was able to mix PANTONE 540 for the NYK container print. I also went ahead and ordered the original three in half-size, which means I will be able to do a 13″ x 5″ edition as well as the present 20″ x 9″ edition.
The editions are numbered to 27. I will be selling numbers 1-13 in sets of seven, and numbers 14-27 individually. I haven’t figured out a price yet, but will post that soon.
Here are the new prints, freshly numbered and signed:
Evergreen in PANTONE Green
Today was a busy time at the Bow & Arrow Press, where I was not only running a four-color broadside for a poetry reading at Emory University, but also running editions of my long-waiting shipping container project. I pulled three sets of prints for the series, and each will be signed in an edition of 27 when they’re dry:
Cosco in Warm Grey 7
I posted about the first one back in the spring, and over the summer we did another one, and we have a third in the works. Here are some nice pictures of the first two, since I was taking shots of work at the Press this weekend.
Before and after class at the Bow & Arrow on Saturday I started messing around with my cubes of wood again. This time I started playing with four groups of four blocks, set roughly in lines, and used some graphite ink I’d mixed earlier in the month. I’m really pleased with the silvery color of the graphite mixture, it’s very handsome and layers quite nicely. Some of the earlier runs were too simple, so I added a color progression starting with PANTONE Yellow and adding a rusty red mixture one of my regulars had whipped up for a recent project. The results were interesting:
Four of Four: Graphite Graphite Yellow Orange
Four of Four: Graphite Yellow Orange Red
Four of Four: Multigraphite
I wrote about my Standard Deviations project a while back, and finally photographed them nicely so I could present them as a series. I’ll be editioning each one individually, and also in 13 sets of 5. Here they are in order:
While posting about the Random Grid prints I realized I’d neglected to actually post about the first round of grid prints, done with the smaller cubes I’d had lying around from a project from several years back. So! This one, “Pixel Gradient”, was the very first one I ran, a proof-of-concept using a blue-to-purple split fountain at the Bow & Arrow:
The second one, which used the same grid as “Pixel Gradient” but split into four parts and run with four different fountains, is called “Organic Grid”:
More should follow soon!
Today I taught an engraving/drypoint class, two Crash Courses and some Intermediate and Advanced students in the Bow & Arrow Press. I also took the opportunity to take some press time for myself, and got some artwork accomplished. First up, a type sample project I’d been preparing ever since I found a lead version of my favorite typeface, Akzidenz Grotesk, at Letterpress Things in Chicopee, Massachusetts a couple of weekends ago. It’s called “Standard”, and I found it wrapped up in the boxes that came fresh from the foundry way back in probably 1975 or 1981:
I really needed to get ink on these lovely slugs of lead, so I prepared a stream-of-consciousness text seeded with the word “Standard”, and titled it “Standard Deviations”:
I liked it so well, I’ll probably do some more. (Incidentally, the title is set in Futura Light 36pt, not Standard.)
After that, I needed to run some cube prints, using the new 7/8″ cubes I’d gotten a few weeks back. These cubes are closer to being type-high, so they’d be easier to run on the letterpress. I set up two randomized layouts of 16 cubes each, referencing two grid compositions I did earlier in the fall. For the first run, I did two split fountains, one with black shading to graphite, the other 7459 Blue shading to 481 Tan:
I wasn’t quite satisfied with this layout, although I did run an edition of it. Playing around with the positioning of the cube sets and staying within the blue-tan fountain, I finally found this combination that worked:
So, all-in-all a pretty successful day at the press.
Just for funsies I shot two icosacomposites of the Press during Open Press Night last Thursday. They turned out every bit as awesome as I hoped. Watch for people typesetting, running the press, wandering around, washing their hands, taking in the wonder of it all, and gesticulating. It’s hard to tell people apart but I’m wearing a red shirt with a white bullseye design depicting the orbits of the inner solar system.
Teaching summer school at the Bow & Arrow Press for Harvard was a fun time. Got lots of good students doing all sorts of fun things, and some of them even braved Open Press Night. One of them, a high school student from Korea, was also taking a film class, and produced a documentary about the Press for that class. It’s great! I look and sound like a real professional! Watch it here:
It’s been a long time coming, but we finally received a wonderful gift at the Bow & Arrow Press:
It’s a Charles Brand etching press, donated by Betsyann Duval, a printmaker and artist in the north metro area and a fellow member at Bromfield Gallery. The Bow & Arrow Press is forever in her debt!