Today started off, oddly enough, as something of a clean-up day. I moved the trash bags I’m using as floor protectors for the wet projects, I shifted a bunch of the loose cubes over to where the river production area was, I cleaned up the pixel dice construction site, and collected boxes in one area and trash in another. I have some of the flow-pattern ink drawings in process, but I didn’t get around to photographing them. Next time!
For a consolation prize, here are the rivers, mostly complete. The clamp on the Mississippi is joining the Ohio/Upper Mississippi/Missouri complex to the Lower Mississippi/Red/Canadian/Arkansas complex. The clamp on the Yangtze is to hold together a faulty glue joint, which broke at around the Wuhan area.
I also put the Random Pixel Objects on display on a plinth, just to get them out of the way:
Another iteration of the Multilayered Holographic Composite, with help from my Graphic Design intro class at NHIA:
It’s starting to coalesce around the basic letterforms, although “Multilayered” is fuzzier than the other words because there’s a much larger spread of word lengths between different handwriting styles.
If you’d like to be included, please, feel free!
So I continued to play around with the Axis network video camera I was graciously loaned, and got it set up so it automatically uploads HD-sized video stills to my FTP site, starting at 5:00 am and ending at 9:00 pm. In fact, it should just be finishing up right now. However, from about 7:15 on, the images were basically black, because we’re not even at the equinox yet and that kind of day duration won’t be prevalent until the solstice. But it works! Awesomesauce! To celebrate, I whipped up a quick time-lapse video of my neighbor’s roof and the sky:
Since I’m interested in the sky colors, I did a crop of the sky quadrant and averaged out the values to create this time-lapse:
And just because I was feeling silly, I cropped out the right-hand roofline and averaged out the values to create a final time-lapse:
I just have to figure out where to mount the camera and I can start a six-month collection regimen of a new skygrid! Woo-hoo!
300… I’ve captured 300 QRs. Here’s the group average, as shot:
(the graininess comes from the fact I photographed three or four QRs on computer monitors this time around)
Average of all 300, as shot–
And all 300, freshly generated:
Since 300 is a big and round number, I figured I’d do another breakdown of the QRs by size, generating averages that are slightly more meaningful because there’s greater overlap. (Here’s the first one.) First, the histogram of QR sizes (given in pixels on the bottom axis):
For the pixel sizes with more than one entry, here are those composites:
These averages clearly show the control blocks, the orientation blocks, and the data fields used int he QR specification.
Much of what interests me is the process of averaging, the blending of differences in a population of images or objects into an ur-image or ur-object, something of a Platonic ideal of whatever I’m focusing on. The Commute images are one facet of this. Here’s another: average typefaces.
In the images I will post below, the 191 printing characters of the ISO-Latin 1 character set for a specific font are blended together into a grayscale image. Once I figured a relatively easy way to automate some of the process, I was able to do quite a few of these to get a nice sampling of various styles and families of type. And, of course, I averaged the averages, to get something of the God-cloud of the modern Roman alphabet. Let’s start with that one:
The average of 50 averaged typefaces, using the ISO-Latin 1 character set.
Here’s a gallery of eight of the 50 average typefaces that I produced: