Today I am continuing on my interest in the tones used by wired telephony and the patterns made by same. I’ve managed to turn the tones used in the DTMF numberpad into visual representations and have started playing with the interactions between them. Some background: when you hear a “TouchTone™” sound, you’re hearing two set
Another bit of noodling I did over the past few days, I’m playing with the frequency mapping of the DTMF (or TouchTone™) sounds used in telephony. These tones are becoming less and less prevalent as mobile phones replace land lines, so this is something of a latter-day portrait of a mature technology. The colors are
Two-for-one today, as I had both of these waiting around for the prep for the BPL show to be done.
This one’s been in the can for a while now, I finally had a chance to process it into a composite.
Sneaking one final post into February. I processed another Swadesh composite, this time in Palestinian Arabic.
Another Swadesh composite is in the bag, and it’s yet another Indo-European language! However, there’s nothing wrong with the sound of Farsi, and I have a lead on Hebrew and Palestinian Arabic, which are not IE languages.
I completed a new Swadesh composite sound this evening, this time in Nepalese. I was expecting a completely different range of sounds, but it turns out Nepalese is part of the Indo-European language family and there were more similarities than I expected.
Continuing on with another Slavic entry. Possibly French, Spanish, Swedish and Nepalese are in the works.
Finally I managed to get another language to my Swadesh composites project: Dutch.
As luck would have it, I was able to get to Kendall-MIT yesterday morning and shoot a full 50 minutes of footage. Here’s the new composite: Funny thing—when you layer time-based media, there’s always a small but non-zero chance that periodic events will synch up in the composition. This is the case here: in some