Media from the Black | White Show Opening

First of all, an interview of me, conducted by Jesa Damora of FunnelCake Marketing, while I was cross-stitching the Charles River basin during the opening at Bromfield on 11 July 2014:

Also, some pictures!

Action shots:
Needlepoint-01  Needlepoint-03Needlepoint-02

Charles River cross-stitch in progress:CharlesRiverWIP

Gallery front

Something of a goofy selfie, but it’s hard to do a good one while embroidering.GoofySelfie

Better shot, when a friend came byTed Ollier-1280949

Another “Black and White” Show Preview

I’ll be in a show at Bromfield Gallery next month called Black and White, and have been preparing a large series of work for the occasion. Today I framed everything, so everything’s ready to go. Here’s another quick shot of what’s coming:


Preview of Work for a Show in July

It’s been a while, partially because I’ve been busy, but also because the video glitches from earlier have pretty much overwhelmed my poor computer and it tends to crash every fifteen minutes. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new iMac yesterday.

One of the things I’ve been busy with is a project specifically created for the Black | White show that will be going up in July at the Bromfield Gallery. I don’t want to spoil the entire thing, but here’s a glimpse at what I’ve been working on:


Average Continent Colors

I’d mentioned it in my needlepoint gallery, specifically on the floss color I used for Australasia and North America, but I realized I’d never posted it before. So, to rectify that situation, here are my averaged colors for the continents:


This was created using a NASA true-color cloudless satellite montage of the world, represented in a Dymaxion projection by R. Buckminster Fuller, so the relative scales and sizes of the continents would be more-or-less comparable:


A note on the continental divisions I used: I consider Europe and Asia to be pretty much one continent, as there is no major division or chokepoint between them. For tradition’s sake, I did determine a separate average color for both Asia and Europe (divided by the Ural Mountains), but when I do the needlepoint piece it will use the Eurasian color and depict both traditional landmasses.

Africa is nicely separated from Asia by Sinai, and the Isthmus of Darien does a pretty good job of separating North and South America, so I’m happy to include these continents as separate and not part of “The Americas” or “Eurafricasia”.

Needlepoint Gallery

I’d been working on them piecemeal for a while, but I had the chance to really sit down and work on some needlepoint pieces while I was at Somerville Open Studios on May 3rd and 4th. Here’s a gallery of what I’ve been working on.

Analemma-SolsticesThis is the analemma, the shape that the sun traces out during the course of the year. I have marked the dates of the solstices at the minimum and maximum points.

AustralasiaAustralasia, although I need to fill in the main continental mass. The color of floss I selected is the average color of the continent.

CGA-PaletteAs referenced before, this is the CGA Color Palette, used by the Computer Graphics Array video system in the mid 80s.

Earth-Moon-SystemA favorite subject of mine, this is the Earth-Moon system, to scale.

Mississippi-Missouri River

Also referenced before, the Mississippi-Missouri river basin, in negative format. The mouth at the Gulf of Mexico is to the left.


Another geographic subject, the North American continent, also done using floss of the average color of the landmass. This floss is actually a little too green, but I couldn’t find a color quite right.


And, finally, the Yangtze river valley, done to the same scale as the Mississippi-Missouri, but in positive format, using indigo floss.

Multilayered Holographic Composite, 59 Samples

Another iteration of the Multilayered Holographic Composite, with help from my Graphic Design intro class at NHIA:


It’s starting to coalesce around the basic letterforms, although “Multilayered” is fuzzier than the other words because there’s a much larger spread of word lengths between different handwriting styles.

If you’d like to be included, please, feel free!


Cross-stitch CGA Palette

Continuing on my pixellated cross-stitch experiments, allow me to present to you the color palette of the Computer Graphics Array (CGA) card from circa 1985, in cross-stitch form:


I’m quite pleased with this little creation. You might remember some other CGA experiments of mine from a while back.

Editioned: Graphic Shipping Containers

Finally had the time to go sign and number the small shipping container prints. This series is all 13″ x 6.25″, printed in black on Lettra 220# fluorescent white paper. There are 40 members in the edition, and I’m reserving numbers 1-13 as complete sets.

Click to embiggen on any one of these:

Graphic-Cosco Graphic-Evergreen Graphic-Hamburg-Süd Graphic-Hanjin Graphic-Hapag-Lloyd Graphic-Maersk Graphic-NYK

Pixel-Based Artwork: Voxel Mississippi

By now everyone knows I’m interested in pixels and gridding visual information. Well, it goes farther than just a flat plane. Using the same pixel layout as I did for my cross-stitch pattern, I have been playing around with using pixels in space, of “voxels”, short for “volume element. (“Pixel” is short for “picture element”, just in case you were wondering. Here, for your enjoyment, is the Mississippi-Missouri River, rendered in cubes and approximating the relative elevations of the various tributaries:


The Appalachian tributaries are a little foreshortened here, but they’re quite a bit lower than the Rocky Mountain tributaries. This is done building up layer upon layer of cubes and gluing them in place. I’m also trying a version where the underlayers are not built up, and the riverbeds will simply be suspended in space at their relative height. I’ve been having some technical difficulties, but nothing a little free time wouldn’t cure.